It is possible to modify a questionnaire even when responses have been submitted for that questionnaire. When doing so, you'll receive a message like this:
There are several valid reasons for modifying an existing questionnaire:
- Typo in a question or section
- Question is not clear and there are many requests for clarification
- Re-ordering certain questions or sections
- Re-phrasing a question
- Modifying the contents of an existing question (using the edit button)
- Moving a question from one section to another, or re-ordering the question within the same section
- Adding a new question (although in this case, the responses already collected will have no responses for this new question)
You will definitely be losing the data collected. Be careful when performing this operation on a survey with responses. There are still situations that you might consider OK in losing the information collected, but there could be cases where you might not want to remove a given question from a questionnaire that already has responses attached to it.
Best practices when using questionnaires
Please keep in mind the best practices when using questionnaires. Using different questionnaires will not allow you to use the comparison functionality of the application, as explained in this article.